Sunday, May 23, 2010

Amsterdam is a Trip!

I've always wanted to go to Amsterdam because it had the reputable of being a free-thinking city where people were much more open about sexuality than they are in the U.S. Let me just say that I was not disappointed. I think that Europeans in general are more comfortable discussing sex than Americans but the Dutch take it to a whole new level. I have never seen so many shops selling sex toys, IPod vibrators, magic mushrooms, aphrodisiacs and fancy condoms.

Although Rik Sprengers, our Cruise Director on Uniworld's River Empress, told us that all drugs are technically illegal in The Netherlands, you don't find anybody getting arrested for smoking pot in Amsterdam. In fact, many Dutch openly indulge in cannabis and according to Rik, one can buy up to five grams for personal use at a "coffee shop" and grow up to three plants for personal use. There are also no shortage of shops in Amsterdam that sell smoking paraphernalia. As for me, I'll stick with my glass of buttery Chardonnay when it's time to relax.

Do you suppose that the Dutch inclination to enjoy life has anything to do with the fact that 40% of their country is below sea level?

There are bicycles everything in Amsterdam and it's important to watch where you're going. I had two very close encounters with bicycles that seemingly came out of nowhere. I noticed that most of the bikes lying around were old and rusty and thought to myself that it was a good thing that Amsterdam is flat because these bikes would fall apart going up even a small hill. I later found out that people use old bikes in Amsterdam because theft is a real problem.

The excursions that were included in our cruise were a tour of the Anne Frank House, which was a moving experience and a canal boat tour of Prinsengracht and Keizergracht, two of Amsterdam's main canals which were dug in the 17th century during the Dutch Golden Age. Along the canals we saw stately tall narrow homes built wall-to-wall; the reason they were built so narrow is because people were taxed based on the width of their homes. We learned that the only way furniture could be moved in and out of these homes was with a hoist located near the roof. No wonder people keep these homes in their families for generations -- it would be a real pain in the neck to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment