Monday, November 15, 2010

Should I Cruise or Should I Stay at an All-Inclusive Tropical Land-Based Resort?

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Cruise Holidays convention at El Dorado Royale in Riviera Maya, Mexico which is a very nice all-inclusive land-based resort south of Cancun.  Although our convention is normally held on a cruise ship, this year it was held on land, which gave me the opportunity to experience an all-inclusive resort for the first time.  Being an avid cruiser, I was initially disappointed that our convention would be held on land but started to get excited about it when I realized that staying at the El Dorado Royale would allow me to sample cruising's major competitior, the all-inclusive tropical land-based resort.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the expansive accommodations, beautiful grounds, extensive dining choices (the D'Italia Casitas Restaurant was especially good), and the friendly service of El Dorado Royale, I wouldn't trade it for a cruise.  To me, there is something particularly magical about sailing away in the sunset while bidding farewell to the crowd left behind on the pier and musing about adventures to come on faraway islands.

On a cruise, you have the opportunity to visit different places and if you happen to be cruising in the Caribbean, each island has a distinct personality and charm all its own.  It's easier to meet new and interesting people and swap stories with fellow travelers on a cruise because people who don't know each other are more likely to dine together.   And, if the weather is not to your liking at a particular destination, it's good to know that the cruise ship will be moving on to another, perhaps fairer port, the next day.

However, if you're going to a tropical paradise where there is much to explore and you need more than a day or if you just want to plop down on a beach chair and decompress for a week, a land-based resort might be a better choice for you.

In the meantime, I'll continue cruising.

More photos of El Dorado Royale

No comments:

Post a Comment