Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rome on the Run

Although I thoroughly enjoyed Rome for the one day I was there, it wasn't nearly enough time. I felt like my life was on "fast forward" while I breathlessly ran around seeing sites that covered thousands of years of history.

Cruising is a wonderful and hassle-free way to travel but if you really want to combine a visit to Rome with a cruise, do yourself a favor and see it either before or after your cruise. During my cruise on the Celebrity Century, Rome was a port stop during the cruise so we were there for only one day.

First of all, it is important to know that cruise ships dock in Civitavecchia which is 50 miles and a two hour drive from Rome. Believe me, it took us every bit of two hours to get to the Piazza del Popolo, where we were dropped off, handed a little paper map and given less than two hours to find our own way to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the Pantheon. We weren't given much time because we had to get back in order to make our 1:00pm appointment at the Vatican Museums.

Although Steve and I walked quickly down the Via del Corso in search of the Trevi Fountain, I still couldn't help peeking in the windows of the shops and admiring the fashionable Italian clothing. Oh well -- too many shopping opportunities and not enough time. After admiring the Trevi Fountain for 15-20 minutes, which is a spectacular fantasy of mythical sea creatures amid cascades of splashing water, we decided to grab a quick bite al fresco at the Golden Bar and were very pleased with our prosciutto paninis.

From there we ran to the Spanish Steps where we had a precious few minutes to snap some photos. Although our stop for paninis cost us a visit to the Pantheon, everyone who knows me understands that I'm a real grouch when I get hungry.

It was important for us to be on time for our appointment at the Vatican Museums because if you don't make it, you could stand in line for hours waiting to get in. Although I was led to believe the Sistine Chapel would be the highlight of the visit, it was frankly too dark in there to clearly see its elaborate beauty. I was more captivated by the majestic statues of naked men with gorgeous physiques that we passed on our way to the Chapel.

While the Sistine Chapel was a disappointment, St. Peter's Basilica was more beautiful than I had ever imagined. Being the lapsed Catholic I am, I was initially a little hesitant to enter such hallowed grounds. I started thinking that I really ought to go to confession but after a few minutes I was too dazzled to worry about it. I was struck by the fact that all of the walls and altars were adorned with fabulous mosaics.

The church's history dates back to the year AD 319 when the emperor Constantine built a basilica over the site of the tomb of St. Peter. Since then, each pope has contributed to its magnificence. It was also interesting to hear that priests from anywhere can arrange to say mass at one of the altars which immediately made me think of organizing cruises with church groups. Is it sacrilegious to think about business within one of God's most glorious houses of worship?

More photos of Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment