Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Spectacular Amalfi Coast

During our port stop in Naples, we decided to spend half of our time in Amalfi and the other half in Pompeii. Being avid cruisers and accustomed to enjoying spectacular views from the sea, we opted for a boat ride along the Amalfi Coast from Salerno to Amalfi rather than taking a motorcoach. We were not disappointed.

Although it was a brisk, windy morning, I decided to brave the cold during the 40 minute trip on the water and was grateful that I had worn a heavy jacket and gloves. The Amalfi Coast is ruggedly beautiful and many of the homes that we saw perched on the cliffs looked like they would slide into the sea during the next heavy rain. I imagined what an adventure it would be to make my way along interesting circuitous routes to get to these estates, including the former residence of Gore Vidal.

Amalfi was the capital of the Maritime Republic of Amalfi, an important trading power in the Mediterranean between 839 and around 1200. It is now a charming town where we had only an 1 1/2 hours to look around. Although that gave us enough time to enjoy a couple of lattes at the coffee bar (it's more expensive if you sit down at a table), we didn't have time to eat at one of the cute little restaurants on the piazza.
The first shop that drew me in was selling limoncello, an Italian lemon liqueur produced mainly in Southern Italy. While I was there marveling at all of the yellow treats and merchandise, I saw a sign about a limoncello tasting room and the next thing I knew I was looking all over town for it. Having lived in the Napa Valley for eight years I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to taste an alcoholic beverage. Since Amalfi isn't exactly a metropolis, I found the limoncello factory (Antichi Sapori d'Amalfi) within minutes. Even though I don't speak Italian, I guess I communicate well enough with my hands so I was soon sharing a cold one with the grandson of the owner. I bought a bottle and imagined myself enjoying its lemon zestiness after a summer afternoon breaking a sweat in the garden.

More photos of the Amalfi Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment