Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fun with Chopsticks in Japan

At an Oktoberfest last week, I was telling stories about my first visit to Japan in 1998. My dear friend Etsuko Nakamura, agreed to be my guide. One night in Tokyo, Etsuko brought me to a restaurant where only the locals go. I was the only hapless tourist in the place. Although I had become pretty proficient eating rice with chopsticks, I couldn't for the life of me pick up with chopsticks the fishballs in my soup. Each time I tried, I managed to get the fishball closer to my mouth but it always ended up plopping back in the bowl.

Sensing that I wasn't feeling great about the chopsticks getting the best of me, the waitress quietly said something to Etsuko. When I asked Etsuko what she said, Etsuko started laughing and said, "It's okay to stick it." At which point I stuck the chopstick in the fishball and was happy for the rest of the evening.

3 comments:

  1. Great Story - one we can all relate to. Been there, done that. Thanks for sharing yours.

    Blaine
    www.someexec.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have another chopstick story, if I may remind you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would have to remind me of that, wouldn't you Etsuko? I believe it has something to do with sticking the chopsticks straight up in the bowl of rice??

    ReplyDelete